Journal Book Binding Kit - Medieval Longstitch
Journal Book Binding Kit - Medieval Longstitch
This kit has everything you need to make a unique sketchbook/journal and learn a medieval bookbinding method: Long-stitch binding! The books you see in the photos were made with this kit, by my students! When you buy this, you will make your own sketchbook/journal in no time!
The kit contains full instructions for binding your own book, for yourself, or for a gift.
The kit contains:
- Instructions for compilation for long stitch bookbinding and variations (English)
- 300gsm watercolor paper (15 sheets = book of 60 pages) or 180gsm unlined writing paper (30 sheets = book of 120 pages), creased and ready for binding (please Choose)
- Specialized man-made book leather (please choose color) - 100% waxed linen Irish thread for the binding in a contrasting color
- Bookbinding Needle - Rat tail Ribbon for the closure. The black cover has black faux leather instead.
- Decorative large button for the closure
💡𝑳𝒐𝒏𝒈-𝒔𝒕𝒊𝒕𝒄𝒉 𝒊𝒔 𝒂 𝒗𝒆𝒓𝒚 𝒈𝒐𝒐𝒅 𝒊𝒏𝒕𝒓𝒐𝒅𝒖𝒄𝒕𝒊𝒐𝒏 𝒕𝒐 𝒃𝒐𝒐𝒌𝒃𝒊𝒏𝒅𝒊𝒏𝒈, 𝒂𝒔 𝒊𝒕 𝒊𝒔 𝒂 𝒏𝒐𝒏-𝒈𝒍𝒖𝒆 𝒎𝒆𝒕𝒉𝒐𝒅 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒂𝒏𝒚 𝒎𝒊𝒔𝒕𝒂𝒌𝒆 𝒄𝒂𝒏 𝒃𝒆 𝒄𝒐𝒓𝒓𝒆𝒄𝒕𝒆𝒅 𝒆𝒂𝒔𝒊𝒍𝒚. 𝑰𝒕 𝒊𝒔 𝒓𝒆𝒄𝒐𝒎𝒎𝒆𝒏𝒅𝒆𝒅 𝒇𝒐𝒓 𝒃𝒆𝒈𝒊𝒏𝒏𝒆𝒓𝒔 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒏 𝒇𝒐𝒓 𝒄𝒓𝒂𝒇𝒕𝒚 𝒌𝒊𝒅𝒔 𝒐𝒗𝒆𝒓 7 𝒚𝒆𝒂𝒓𝒔 𝒐𝒍𝒅 (𝒘𝒊𝒕𝒉 𝒂𝒅𝒖𝒍𝒕 𝒔𝒖𝒑𝒆𝒓𝒗𝒊𝒔𝒊𝒐𝒏). 𝑰𝒕 𝒂𝒍𝒔𝒐 𝒔𝒖𝒊𝒕𝒂𝒃𝒍𝒆 𝒇𝒐𝒓 𝒆𝒙𝒑𝒆𝒓𝒊𝒆𝒏𝒄𝒆𝒅 𝒄𝒓𝒂𝒇𝒕𝒆𝒓𝒔, 𝒂𝒔 𝒊𝒕 𝒊𝒔 𝒂 𝒗𝒆𝒓𝒚 𝒗𝒆𝒓𝒔𝒂𝒕𝒊𝒍𝒆 𝒎𝒆𝒕𝒉𝒐𝒅 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒂𝒍𝒍𝒐𝒘𝒔 𝒇𝒐𝒓 𝒈𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒕 𝒂𝒓𝒕𝒊𝒔𝒕𝒊𝒄 𝒇𝒓𝒆𝒆𝒅𝒐𝒎 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒆𝒙𝒑𝒆𝒓𝒊𝒎𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒂𝒕𝒊𝒐𝒏.
👉 𝐀𝐛𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐋𝐨𝐧𝐠𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐭𝐜𝐡 𝐁𝐢𝐧𝐝𝐢𝐧𝐠:
Long-stitch is a bookbinding technique that exists since the 13th century and was used extensively in Germany during the medieval era. It is a non-glue binding, and the sections are sewn directly through holes in the cover material. This sewing method creates a staggered line pattern visible on the spine.
There are many ways artists elaborate on the simple long-stitch binding. You can design your own stitching pattern, alter the length of the stitches to form your own pattern, or use multiple-colored threads ... you are only limited by your imagination!
Though some long-stitch bound book covers are just trimmed to the edge of the book block, there are a variety of ways to fold over one side of the cover and fasten it. You can play with the shape of the flap, and the closure style, you can decorate or embroider...
Buttons can be stitched into the binding and a thread attached to the cover flap. A slit can be cut into the front cover and a strip from the back cover can be slipped through the slit... anything works, if it keeps your journal closed!
📌 If you want to have your own bookbinder tool kit (last photo), please select the option with the tool kit. Note that it is 𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐫𝐞𝐪𝐮𝐢𝐫𝐞𝐝 for completing the book of the kit (although helpful), but it is essential for your next books.
- Wooden ruler of 12" (30cm) which has one 𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐥 𝐞𝐝𝐠𝐞 for cutting paper
- 𝐒𝐞𝐥𝐟-𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐂𝐮𝐭𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐭 A4 size with line guides
- Plastic paper cutter with 𝟗𝐦𝐦 𝐰𝐢𝐝𝐞 𝐦𝐞𝐭𝐚𝐥 𝐛𝐥𝐚𝐝𝐞. It has a slit for snapping off blunt blades and a security button for safe cutting.
- Black Graphite 𝐰𝐨𝐨𝐝𝐞𝐧 𝐩𝐞𝐧𝐜𝐢𝐥 from recycled wood with 𝐞𝐫𝐚𝐬𝐞𝐫
- 𝐋𝐨𝐧𝐠 𝐁𝐨𝐨𝐤𝐛𝐢𝐧𝐝𝐞𝐫'𝐬 𝐀𝐰𝐥 with a steel blade and wooden handle
- Light 𝐏𝐚𝐩𝐞𝐫 𝐅𝐨𝐥𝐝𝐞𝐫 / Creaser with corner rounding edge
Your book will be A5 size (14.8x 21 cm - 5.83" x 8.27") and it will be great as a sketchbook, a journal, an art journal, a diary, or even a gift to a loved one. If you need more pages, please contact me. Please bear in mind that the photo may be slightly different from the actual item in terms of color, due to the lighting during photo shooting or the monitor's display
📌 If you want to bind your book with more pages, please buy this add-on.
🚫 NO ANIMAL PRODUCTS WERE USED FOR THIS BOOKBINDING LEATHER
I will pack your journal very carefully and post it by registered mail. It is more expensive than the simple "air-mail" service, but it will let us both breathe freely and not worry about the fate of your journal. I will email you the tracking number, so that you can track your journal during its journey to you.
🚚 Standard Shipping is fulfilled by National Post. Greek postal service needs 3-10 business days (for registered/express delivery), to deliver to your country's inward Office of Exchange (local post). From then on, it depends on your local post. I have estimated the delivery time to the best of my knowledge, but there might be delays that I cannot predict.
🚀For faster and more accurate service, please 𝐜𝐡𝐨𝐨𝐬𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐡𝐢𝐩𝐩𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐮𝐩𝐠𝐫𝐚𝐝𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐜𝐨𝐫𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐩𝐨𝐧𝐝𝐬 𝐭𝐨 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐥𝐝. European orders are shipped via DHL. USA and most Canadian orders are shipped via FedEx. If your address is considered "remote" by the carrier, I will revert it to National Post. Please note that courier service is not available for P.O. Boxes
🔹 𝐂𝐮𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐦𝐬 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐢𝐦𝐩𝐨𝐫𝐭 𝐭𝐚𝐱𝐞𝐬
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
- All sales are final. Regretfully, I cannot accept returns for a change of mind or a change of heart. However, if you have made a purchase and your item is not yet shipped, and you need to cancel the order, please contact me within 6 hours.
- If for any reason you are not happy with your (ready-to-ship) journal, please contact me within 3 days of receiving the item. I will make my best to make it up to you. Custom or personalized orders cannot be returned.
- If your order arrived damaged or incorrect, it will be repaired or replaced at no charge. Return shipping costs are your responsibility.
- If your order was unclaimed or your address was wrong and your item was returned to me, you will have to pay the actual shipping price in order to re-send it. Greek Post charges 16.5 euros per kg. Unclaimed or returned items are not eligible for a refund and after 30 days they will be donated to charity. So please, keep an eye on your purchase using the tracking number provided.
There is a 𝟏𝟓% 𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐜𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐟𝐞𝐞, on all returns. This percentage of your purchase will NOT be reimbursed in case of a product return.
🔴 𝐄𝐔𝐑𝐎𝐏𝐄𝐀𝐍 𝐔𝐍𝐈𝐎𝐍 𝐂𝐔𝐒𝐓𝐎𝐌𝐄𝐑𝐒 𝐎𝐍𝐋𝐘
If you live in the European Union, you have the right to return purchases made online within 14 days.
The 14-day cooling-off period does not apply to all purchases. Exemptions are:
- Custom or personalized orders
- Orders which contain a digital item ex Bookbinding kit with a video tutorial
- Items "made to order"
- Items on Sale
𝐇𝐨𝐰 𝐭𝐨 𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐜𝐞𝐞𝐝:
You must inform me that you want to cancel your purchase. 𝐈𝐭 𝐢𝐬 𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐞𝐧𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡 𝐣𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐭𝐨 𝐬𝐞𝐧𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐠𝐨𝐨𝐝𝐬 𝐛𝐚𝐜𝐤. I will send you the European withdrawal form which you will fill, sign, and send along with the product. The product should be unused, packed well to avoid damage, and sent back to me within 14 days, using a trackable service. You are responsible for the return costs. I will refund you (the value of the item only - no shipping costs), as soon as I can be able to inspect the item (usually 2-3 days, after I receive it).